Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Eat, Drink and Be Scary - Halloween Sign

I love when September rolls around!  Not only is it my birthday month (whoop, whoop!) but it's time to start thinking about decorating for Fall and Halloween.  Last year, I started making Halloween signs and received such positive feedback that I decided to do it again this year!

Today, I want to share how I made this sign...
Cute, right?  It all started out with a sheet of bead board from Lowe's.  I had them cut me three 12x12 squares - one for each of my frames that I had on hand at home.
Then I layered my paint.  I started with two coats of orange paint, then dry brushed with white and finally finished up with a semi-dry brush of a deeper orange.  I love the look of layered paint.
Then it was time to transfer my design.  I spread yellow chalk on the back of my printout, flipped it over to lay the chalk side down and traced over each letter with a pencil.
See the yellow chalk outline?  I then used a pencil to trace over the chalk.  Once I had each letter in pencil, I wiped away all the chalk.  Now I was ready to paint!

I have to apologize because I didn't capture any pics of the type of paint I used or the brush, but any acrylic paint will do.  As for the brush, I used a small liner brush.  Once I had each letter filled in, I gave the whole thing a quick sanding.
The last step is to add your finished piece to a frame and enjoy!  Perfect! :)
This is the only part of my house currently decorated, but I have big plans to take out the rest of my decor tonight - after all, Fall is officially a couple days away!

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment